Subject: Re: data corruption and pmap and such
To: Justin Newcomer <liquidice5@gmail.com>
From: Markus W Kilbinger <mk@kilbi.de>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 04/30/2005 20:24:05

    Justin> Sorry if this is a bad question, but I subscribe to the
    Justin> mailing lists for port-cobalt and port-mips and i remember
    Justin> all the problems people were having with data corruption
    Justin> and the pmap_unwire errors.

    Justin> so my question is, i am running a cobalt qube 2 with the
    Justin> netbsd 2.0 kernel 01:47:08 ~ # uname -a NetBSD caspar 2.0
    Justin> NetBSD 2.0 (QUBE) #0: Sun Mar 20 01:20:03 UTC 2005
    Justin> root@caspar:/usr/src/sys/arch/cobalt/compile/QUBE cobalt

    Justin> every now and then i see the pmap_unwire error come up on
    Justin> the serial terminal prompt 01:56:15 /stuff # cat
    Justin> messages.1 | grep unwire Apr 5 10:56:26 caspar /netbsd:
    Justin> pmap_unwire: wiring for pmap 0x80643460 va 0x7fff8000
    Justin> didn't change! [...]

    Justin> What should the normal netbsd user do to fix this problem,
    Justin> is there a fix?

Yes, in -current, checked in some minutes ago:

  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2005/04/30/0007.html

    Justin> is the current and or the 2.0 kernel sources from netbsd
    Justin> fixed?

More severe r5k cache problems got a much better workaround in
-current on 03/26/2005:

  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2005/03/26/0016.html

    Justin> I have obviously recompiled my kernel once, but that was
    Justin> to fix other things will recompiling again with the
    Justin> -current fix any issues?

So, yes! I'm running a current kernel on my qube2 quite happily
(though the real r5k cache solution is still pending).

Markus.