Subject: Re: Ultra-DMA with Cobalt Raq
To: cape canaveral <somniosus@gmail.com>
From: Oliver Schonefeld <oschonef@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 04/23/2005 13:37:23
--gKMricLos+KVdGMg

Hello,

Eines schoenen Tages schrieb cape canaveral:
[DMA on Raq1 and fdisk panic]
> I' m going from memory here but if it's serving me correctly, yes,
> that's a problem with the Raq1's, and no there's no fix.
>
> Also watch out for the cron in /etc/daily as it invokes /etc/security
> which runs fdisk and will crash the box every night if you don't
> disable it.  I just commented it out, I think.

I used the 1.6 installation to build a NetBSD 2.0.2. The Raq1 was netbooted
and installed with 2.0.2. I cleared the mbr partition table using dd and
used fdisk to create new partitions. The kernel no longer panics when using
fdisk. The first partition starts at sector 63; from memory i think the old
layout started at sector 1. That might have been a problem.

I do have 2 problems left:
1) the clock on the rack runs too fast; about 2 seconds pass for 1 second in
   "real" time. ntp is unable to adjust the time. Is this also a general
   problem or maybe just something wrong with my configuration or hardware?
2) I get those "pmap_unwire: wiring for pmap ... didn't change!" messages.
   Reading the list archive, this seems to be connected to caching issues on
   mips and some fixes have been committed to
   -CURRENT. Will theses changed be commited to 2.0?

TIA,
Oliver

P.S. Kernel configuration attached.
And remember: "To Infinity And Far Beyond ... Somehow?!"

Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me in your ~/.signature
to help me spread!             <- Save this lifeform ;-)

--gKMricLos+KVdGMg

include 	"arch/cobalt/conf/std.cobalt"
maxusers	32
options 	KTRACE		# system call tracing support
options 	SYSTRACE	# system call vetting via systrace(1)
options 	SYSVMSG		# System V message queues
options 	SYSVSEM		# System V semaphores
options 	SYSVSHM		# System V shared memory
options 	P1003_1B_SEMAPHORE # p1003.1b semaphore support
options 	NTP		# network time protocol
options 	SYSCTL_INCLUDE_DESCR	# Include sysctl descriptions in kernel
options 	DIAGNOSTIC	# extra kernel sanity checking
options 	DDB		# kernel dynamic debugger
options 	COMPAT_43	# compatibility with 4.3BSD binaries
options 	COMPAT_16	# NetBSD 1.6 binary compatibility
file-system	FFS		# Berkeley Fast Filesystem
file-system 	EXT2FS		# second extended file system (linux)
file-system	NFS		# Sun NFS-compatible filesystem client
options 	SOFTDEP		# FFS soft updates support.
				# immutable) behave as system flags.
options 	INET		# Internet protocols
options 	PCIVERBOSE	# verbose PCI device autoconfig messages
config		netbsd	root on ? type ?
mainbus0 	at root
cpu0 		at mainbus?
com0		at mainbus? addr 0x1c800000 level 3
options 	COM16650
panel0 		at mainbus? addr 0x1f000000
gt0 		at mainbus? addr 0x14000000
pci* 		at gt0
pchb* 		at pci? dev ? function ?
pcib* 		at pci? dev ? function ?
viaide* 	at pci? dev ? function ?	# VIA/AMD/Nvidia IDE controllers
atabus* 	at ata?
wd* 		at atabus? drive ? flags 0x0ffc
tlp*		at pci? dev ? function ?	# DECchip 21x4x and clones
lxtphy*		at mii? phy ?			# Level One LXT-970 PHYs
pseudo-device	bpfilter	8		# Berkeley packet filter
pseudo-device	loop				# network loopback
pseudo-device	pty				# pseudo-terminals
pseudo-device	rnd				# /dev/random & kernel generator
pseudo-device	clockctl		# user control of clock subsystem
pseudo-device	nullcons			# no-op console
pseudo-device	ksyms				# /dev/ksyms

--gKMricLos+KVdGMg--