Subject: Cobalt Qube 2 Memory Simms
To: port-cobalt@netbsd.org <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Bramley <brams@mac.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 03/26/2005 12:27:38

--Boundary_(ID_fr1Y1D2ejN0xLzs4HDB8Lg)

Hi

In my Cobalt Qube 2 I=B9ve been using 2 x 72pin EDO 5v Simms for about 7
months with no problems at all, I know they=B9re 5v because I got the Cobalt
with little memory in it and had these things lying round out of an old Mac
and put them in it, now I know it=B9s supposed to use 3.3v but I figured that
as the Simms are under volted that worst case scenario would be the Qube
would not boot or if it did boot it would probably crash later on, it does
not, it works fine.

I always figured I=B9d not bother to mention this as this was maybe a fluke o=
something, however some guy is selling a few simms on eBay in the UK for Ra=
2 & Qube 2=B9s telling you they are 5v and they work fine.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3D1484&item=3D57623069=
8
4&rd=3D1

I=B9ve just bought a BeBox dual 133 and was going to move the memory out of
the Qube 2 into the BeBox and get some more ram for the Qube 64mb now was
considering going to 128 (any advantage in doing this?, I only use it as a
file server running NetBSD 1.6.1 but I=B9m going to 2.0 soon), I was going to
try and get some 3.3 EDO 72pin simms but now this fluke of mine and the fac=
this guy says it works as got me thinking.

Anybody else here using 5v simms in a Qube 2 or a Raq 2?

Do FPM simms work in Qube 2=B9s?

I know these questions have been asked before, Yes I=B9ve read the manual and
the mail list archives & Googled this to death but everybody says 3.3v
un-buffered EDO, I=B9m 100% using 5v and so is this guy, unless he=B9s
bulls*&%^ng.

Thanks
Mick Bramley

--=20
Q: How many Microsoft managers does it take to change a light
bulb?

A: We've formed a task force to study the problem of why light bulbs
burn out, and to determine what, exactly, we as supervisors can do to
make the bulbs work smarter, not harder.=20

--Boundary_(ID_fr1Y1D2ejN0xLzs4HDB8Lg)

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Cobalt Qube 2 Memory Simms</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE="Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE='font-size:12.0px'>Hi<BR>
<BR>
In my Cobalt Qube 2 I&#8217;ve been using 2 x 72pin EDO 5v Simms for about 7 months with no problems at all, I know they&#8217;re 5v because I got the Cobalt with little memory in it and had these things lying round out of an old Mac and put them in it, now I know it&#8217;s supposed to use 3.3v but I figured that as the Simms are under volted that worst case scenario would be the Qube would not boot or if it did boot it would probably crash later on, it does not, it works fine.<BR>
<BR>
I always figured I&#8217;d not bother to mention this as this was maybe a fluke or something, however some guy is selling a few simms on eBay in the UK for Raq 2 &amp; Qube 2&#8217;s telling you they are 5v and they work fine.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
I&#8217;ve just bought a BeBox dual 133 and was going to move the memory out of the Qube 2 into the BeBox and get some more ram for the Qube 64mb now was considering going to 128 (any advantage in doing this?, I only use it as a file server running NetBSD 1.6.1 but I&#8217;m going to 2.0 soon), I was going to try and get some 3.3 EDO 72pin simms but now this fluke of mine and the fact this guy says it works as got me thinking.<BR>
<BR>
Anybody else here using 5v simms in a Qube 2 or a Raq 2?<BR>
<BR>
Do FPM simms work in Qube 2&#8217;s?<BR>
<BR>
I know these questions have been asked before, Yes I&#8217;ve read the manual and the mail list archives &amp; Googled this to death but everybody says 3.3v un-buffered EDO, I&#8217;m 100% using 5v and so is this guy, unless he&#8217;s bulls*&amp;%^ng.<BR>
<BR>
Thanks<BR>
Mick Bramley<BR>
<BR>
-- <BR>
Q: How many Microsoft managers does it take to change a light<BR>
bulb?<BR>
<BR>
A: We've formed a task force to study the problem of why light bulbs<BR>
burn out, and to determine what, exactly, we as supervisors can do to<BR>
make the bulbs work smarter, not harder. <BR>
</SPAN></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_fr1Y1D2ejN0xLzs4HDB8Lg)--