Subject: Re: 2.0 upgrade
To: Alex Pelts <alexp@broadcom.com>
From: Christian von Kleist <cvk@zybx.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 03/07/2005 20:07:35
Alex Pelts wrote:
> Hi,
> May be it is a stupid question but are there any reasons to upgrade to
> 2.0 from 1.6.2 on qube?

      I use my Qube 2 as a wireless router (among other things) and
before 2.0 it used to crash silently with no message and no core every
week or so.  Putting the adapter into promiscuous mode always crashed it
after only a few hours.  I never investigated much, but the crashes only
happened when the Prism-2.5-based wireless adapter was installed and up.
  I tried several -currents, but the crashes always happened.  I wanted
to file a pr, but I couldn't narrow down the problem.

      As soon as I upgraded to 2.0 the crashes stopped altogether:

  7:49PM  up 17 days,  6:35, 1 user, load averages: 0.11, 0.14, 0.09

      My Qube hasn't had a single crash since upgrading.  (It also
hasn't had any file corruption problems even though I serve MP3's from it.)

> I looked at list of changes and improvements for 2.0 and in my case I
> did not see any compelling reason to upgrade. There is only one security
> fix that i am interested in and that would be rolled in to 1.6.3. Oh yes
> and the lcd panel driver is a part of 2.0. No need to apply the patch.

      The LCD driver is great.  Mine shows the condition of my wireless
signal:

while sleep 5;
do wiconfig wi0 |
awk '/Comms/ { printf("q=%d, s=%d, n=%d", $4, $5, $6) }
/Current netname/ { printf(" %s, ", $5) }
/Current channel/ { printf("c=%d, ", $4) }' > /dev/lcd;
done

> How is everything else feels on 2.0?

      Solid as a rock, but blue and with a little green light on the front.

> I am hesitant because last time I upgraded it took me some time to get
> everything back in shape.

      I know this is bad, but I just built the 2.0 kernel, rebooted, and
unpax'd 2.0 over the -current I was running.  I've been meaning to go
back and do a neater job, but I haven't yet.  No harm done, it appears.

> Any opinions on this issue ?

      I recommend it, but what do I know?