Subject: Re: Raq2 - Booting using console 'bfd /boot/netbds.gz'
To: None <kevin@polston.co.uk>
From: Brian <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 12/11/2004 08:13:44
On Saturday, December 11, 2004, at 07:05 AM, Kevin Polston wrote:

> Hi all
> I'm a newcomer to both netBSD and the Cobalt Raq2.  I've loaded netBSD
> 1.6.1 using the recovery disk method.
> Everything apeared to go well but then I re-booted the consol showed
> 'decompressing' twice and then halted.
> I googled and found that entering 'bfd /boot/netbsd.gz' at the cobalt
> prompt does indeed boot the machine.
> However, I would like to boot my Raq2 without having to type 'bfd
> /boot/netbsd.gz' at the console.  Could anybody
> give me a hand?
> Many thanks
> Kevin
> PS my Raq only has 16Mb of RAM - could this be an issue?

If you look back in the newsgroup archive of the list, there's a post
(somewhere between Jan and here) re: 16 megs, the 1.6.1, and the kernel
failing to boot the Qube 2.

It seems there's a bug somewhere and on 16 meg machines the boot loader
overwrites part of something important when it's being decompressed/
loaded into RAM.

IIRC there was a patch posted in the list.

And actually I found the link to the posting pretty quickly, so here it
is:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-cobalt/2004/01/06/0000.html

This might help you with your problem.  Although it may have been
specific to the netboot CD for the Qube, not for whatever you used for
the RAQ, I don't know much about the differences between the machines
or how your install disk was built.  It's a starting point, though, and
it certainly sounds like the same issue.

Brian

--
... we parted each feeling
superior to the other and is not that