Subject: Re: postgre semaphores
To: Jebus <lordjebus@gmail.com>
From: Brian <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 12/02/2004 06:04:47
On Wednesday, December 1, 2004, at 09:08 AM, Jebus wrote:

> Not sure what went wrong. After building my kernel it didn't come back
> up after rebooting. When I used the serial cable I didn't see any
> errors during the boot sequence.  I'll have to try and capture the
> boot messages to post here unless there is something else I should
> grab that would be more informative.

In fact a little googling just found this - I think from Andy, on one
of the newsgroups:

> It seems like boot sometimes "just fails" and I can't really tell why.
> I know I built a 2.0 kernel recently that was bigger than the gzipped
> limit that the firmware can handle and I forgot about it... I think
> the generic 2.0-release kernel right now won't work on the Qube2
> because of this. But I've tried to build kernels that nfs boot and
> they don't get loaded by the firmware properly for whatever reason.
> Weird.

I didn't look for the rest of the thread.  I've read that the limit is
1 gig on the zipped file, or 2.5 when it unpacks.  Did you pass that
with the new kernel?

And a better description of what to do with the /usr/games/.doug
follows .  Anyway perhaps it does not exist by default, although I
thought that I read that it was there.

(I have a very stupid question- the ext2 filesystem is not the one that
netbsd ends up in, right? It is just the little tiny linux one?  How do
I access it when booted normally?  I don't see it in df -a or fstab).

Also good info from Andy's posts elsewhere, although the implication is
perhaps that you don't have this available to rescue you until you
create it first:

> If you want to build different kernels, I've found that it's a really
> good idea to copy a known good one (gzipped of course) to
> (/altroot)/usr/games/.doug. Just copy your known good vmlinux.gz
> kernel over there. Then when the darn thing won't boot, you can just
> power it down, and power it back up while holding down all 4 direction
> buttons and it boots /usr/games/.doug from the ext2 partition. This
> Doug person probably kept learning this lesson the hard way about
> kernels not booting!

HTH.  I've got more questions than solutions at this time though :)

Brian

--
... we parted each feeling
superior to the other and is not that