Subject: Re: noise level
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Kevin Lahey <kml@patheticgeek.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 11/29/2004 08:51:48
In message <20041129160245.GE11050@netmeister.org>Jan Schaumann writes
>I'm considering getting a cobalt qube 2 to replace my noisy PC as my
>private mail and webserver.  The thing would most likely be in my
>bedroom, so I'd like it to be quiet -- how noisy are the qubes?

Ummm, mine is fairly noisy.  It is probably less noisy than my tower
case PC, but there is still plenty of fan noise.

At some point, I was chatting with a Cobalt employee (engineer?)
who insisted that the fan could be disconnected with no ill effects.
I haven't been brave enough to try, as my Qube and Raqs live in my
office, where I don't mind the noise.

You should also be aware of the occasional complaints about file
corruption and crashes under heavy network load.  I've used a Qube
(and then a Raq) as my main mail and web server and firewall (and
even wireless access point) for several years, to good effect.
But YMMV.

Kevin
kml@patheticgeek.net