Subject: Samba & pkgsrc errors
To: None <port-cobalt@NetBSD.org>
From: Aaron Webster <aaronw@giardini.com.au>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 11/27/2004 17:29:27
Hi all

I want to install samba on my qube 2 which is running netbsd 1.6.2.
I downloaded the source file for samba and ran into glibc errors,
which i found not to be supported by netbsd. I checked through the
archives and saw a posting about pkgsrc and how this was the best way
to install programs so i downloaded the pkgsrc file from netbsd.org

Problem is when i tried to make install samba from the pkgsrc files i
get this :

===> Error: The package tools installed on this system are out of date.
===> The installed package tools are dated 2003/02/02 and you must update
===> them to at least 2003/09/18 using the following command:
===>
===>    cd /usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install && /usr/bin/make clean &&
/usr/bin/make install
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/net/samba

so i went and tried what is says to update the pkg_install tools and
this is what i get

===> Installing for pkg_install-20041110
===> usage: pkg_admin [-V] command args ...
Where 'commands' and 'args' are:
  rebuild                     - rebuild pkgdb from +CONTENTS files
  check [pkg ...]             - check md5 checksum of installed files
  lsall /path/to/pkgpattern   - list all pkgs matching the pattern
  lsbest /path/to/pkgpattern  - list pkgs matching the pattern best
  dump                        - dump database
  pmatch pattern pkg          - returns true if pkg matches pattern,
otherwise false is already installed - perhaps an older version?
*** If so, you may use either of:
***  - "pkg_delete usage: pkg_admin [-V] command args ...
Where 'commands' and 'args' are:
  rebuild                     - rebuild pkgdb from +CONTENTS files
  check [pkg ...]             - check md5 checksum of installed files
  lsall /path/to/pkgpattern   - list all pkgs matching the pattern
  lsbest /path/to/pkgpattern  - list pkgs matching the pattern best
  dump                        - dump database
  pmatch pattern pkg          - returns true if pkg matches pattern,
otherwise false" and "/usr/bin/make reinstall" to upgrade properly
***  - "/usr/bin/make update" to rebuild the package and all of its
dependencies
***  - "/usr/bin/make replace" to replace only the package without re-linking
***    dependencies, risking various problems.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install

I have rebuilt the pkg_admin database and tried to do a update
instead of a install (which i found recomended in the archives of
this list) but encounter the same error.

Anyone know how to fix either of these errors so i can install samba?

Cheers
--
Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay
attention to their limitations again.