Subject: Re: editing lcd on cobalt qube
To: Matthew Reed <elvencraft@gmail.com>
From: Colin Raven <duiker@haggis.nl>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 11/16/2004 10:51:10
Matthew Reed wrote:

>As we all know the cobalt qube 2 has a 2x16 character LCD display, and
>most people aren't aware that this can't display whatever you want. To
>edit this to your liking, do the following.

I never meditated on the actual dimensions of the lcd, but it's good
that you posted it for posterity - Thanks!!!

>Edit the banner.sh:
>
>vi /etc/paneld/banner.sh
>
>(if you prefer a different text editor...by all means use it)
>
>Inside of banner.sh you will see the following lines
>
>echo "$HOST"
>echo "[$ADDR]"

This *is* useful....I knew there was a file someplace, but honestly
couldn't remember where it was - good stuff!!

>Finally to commit the newfound message to your lcd screen, you can do
>1 of 2 things
>
>#1 - Reboot
>#2 - Hold down select on the back of your qube to enter the menu on
>the lcd, and then exit the menu, the new changes should pop up without
>effecting your downtime.

Didn't know that either....niiiice.

>Hope you find this as useful as I have. I learned about this from the
>great guys over at rushmere, their website is http://www.rushmere.net
>, they have a very nice page regarding the cobalt and its setup.

It *is* a nice page! I intended to write to 'em offlist in the near
future, because on or two (m.i.n.o.r.) issues exist in their writeup on
installation.
That said, a thoughtful serious installer can get around the issues in
the howto with mostly only minor difficulty and mailing list assistance :).
Those guys did a great job and my qube landing page acknowleges them
(http://www.kozy-kabin.nl)

Good post - tahnks for that!

Regards,
-Colin