Subject: Re: Binding more than one IP to a NIC
To: <>
From: Christopher Schultz <christopher.d.schultz@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 11/07/2004 19:08:38
--------------enig3B85488EBE1491125330EF21

Kevin,

>>This is pretty frustrating. Apparent, Red Hat (or Cobalt) had this
>>problem fixed in that ancient Linux kernel. But, both NetBSD and Gentoo
>>linux (well, I suppose the kernel is the same no matter what distro it
>>is) have problems with these Tulip devices. What gives?
>
> Yow, the Gentoo Linux distribution for Cobalt uses the NetBSD kernel!?
> That's confusing.

Erm, no. Both the NetBSD and Linux kernels (I guess really the drivers
for this Tulip device) both have similar problems.

>>However, my understanding is that the driver goes belly-up after
>>a certain amount of traffic goes by (or is it only if you push it too
>>hard?). That's an actual problem, not just an inconvenience.
>
> Looking at the kernel backtraces that I get when things go wrong,
> it seems more like a MIPS-specific VM issue than a Tulip driver
> issue.

Aah, that would make sense. But it seems that the original RedHat
Linux-based OS that came with the Qube didn't suffer from that problem.
Does anyone understand what's going on?

-chris