Subject: Re: Binding more than one IP to a NIC
To: <>
From: Christopher Schultz <christopher.d.schultz@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 11/07/2004 11:14:11
--------------enigA033A5414988F3AD3E3B64FB

All,

>>ttcp-t: 733945856 bytes in 563.28 real seconds = 1272.45 KB/sec +++
>
> Fiddling around, I managed to get as much as 1800KB/sec.
>
>>Apparently the Qube with it's native OS (Linux based) doesn't have
>>this problem.
>
> In some benchmarks I did a month or so ago, I managed to get 8600KB/sec
> using the original Linux installation on a Raq2.

This is pretty frustrating. Apparent, Red Hat (or Cobalt) had this
problem fixed in that ancient Linux kernel. But, both NetBSD and Gentoo
linux (well, I suppose the kernel is the same no matter what distro it
is) have problems with these Tulip devices. What gives?

I'd think that if we had a working driver back in 1998 or whenever, that
we'd still have a working driver, today. Is this one of those
Linksys-style "oh ho ho! we'll take your precious open-source software
for free, but give you nothing in return ah ha ha!" kinds of situations?

> I actually don't mind the low performance that much, but it'd certainly
> be cool to figure out what is going on.

Agreed. However, my understanding is that the driver goes belly-up after
a certain amount of traffic goes by (or is it only if you push it too
hard?). That's an actual problem, not just an inconvenience.

-chris