Subject: Qube2 Chapter 4 - "A new H/D"
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Colin Raven <duiker@haggis.nl>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 11/06/2004 11:16:22
Greetings fellow Cobaltistas!
Chapter 4 - "A new "quieter" hard drive" 12GB --> 80GB (7200 RPM IBM
Deskstar!!)

It's getting easier, no doubt about that :) It took 75 minutes to
install NetBSD on the new large disk  though, and I attribute this to
the fact that the disk had another Linux OS on it and needed to be wiped
before NetBSD could be installed. The new drive *is* much quieter and
also has a larger cache than the circa 1998 12GB Quantum Fireball that
was in there, so reads and writes are significantly quicker than was
formerly the case. I'm beginning to look at this as the "final
installation" and therefore taking time to set things up in a more
permanent way now, since I don't think I have any need to mess with the
hardware in the near future. (I hope not anyway!!) Memory is maxed out
to 256MB, and this drive is 'young and strong' so this is the
configuration going forward.

Observation: I'm continually surprised at how long it takes to build and
install stuff. I'd honestly expected slightly faster builds, but my
guess is that the little MIPS processor just doesn't have the horsepower
to compile stuff faster. As an example, bash took 2 hours to install,
and various pkg_tools an hour or so apiece. This really was an
eyeopener. I didn't expect this little guy to behave like a stacked P3
or P4 of course, but I didn't think it would be this slow at compiling.
Oh well.

One thing stands out in my mind, and this is the big one for me. I do
realize I need to slim down the kernel and optimize it some, yet I've
never done any kernel tweaking....ever, so I'm slightly intimidated by
the prospect. My goal is *the* tiniest fastest kernel possible,
consistent with the functions of the box, namely serving mail and an
occasional web page. If anyone has the time I could *really* use some
help in understanding what I can get rid of in the kernel and a bit of a
n00b walk through of how to accomplish this. I've done some reading of
cobalt/netbsd pages - as well as the kernel compiling chapter on
NetBSD.org itself. Yet there is - of course - an underlying assumption
that the reader may have done some kernel recompiling before, whereas
yours truly has always studiously avoided such wizardry - until now when
I realize it is absolutely inevitable no matter what.

Regards & TIA one 'n all,
-Colin