Subject: Re: STUPID!!! (Yes, that's me!)
To: Colin Raven <duiker@haggis.nl>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 11/01/2004 16:57:56
On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 00:52:16 +0100, Colin Raven <duiker@haggis.nl> wrote:
> Yes indeed - thanks for *that*!!!!!...what a great story. That did my
> heart good!!!
> Following up on Justin's point, I never for one moment thought to look
> for the toor account, though it's a standard on FreeBSD and I *should*
> have thought of it since I do admin several FreeBSD boxes (boxen?) I
> logged off and booted into the restore CD too quickly, by the time that
> gem arrived in my inbox I was vi'ing my head off getting the restored
> Qube back online. Luckily I ftp'd the pkgsrc.tgz to a local server - so
> once restored, re-grabbing the software was a fairly trivial issue, and
> as Im writing this it's un-stuffing itself into /usr.....soon my 'lil
> box will be as good as new once again.
> Woo...Hoo.../me is *almost* ready to say that this is fun. My wife
> thinks I have completely lost my mind.
> Thanks for the reassuring words, they made *all* the difference. :) :) :)
> -Colin

You want fun? You want to drive your wife nuts? Install NetBSD on a
Sega Dreamcast. I learned so much about machines and booting that I
doubt there's much that can stand in my way when in comes to
installing an OS now... Most of the rest of the machines I've tried
are absolute child's play. Running back and forth between the TV room
and the computer room was quite fun. For me anyway. Probably made my
wife and that cats nuts though.

You can buy a Dreamcast for under $20 now BTW. But I think the
(required) network adapter is still over $100. Funny how that works,
huh? Luckily I still use mine for what it's original purpose was so
it's not all a complete waste...

These Qubes are cool, but I can't imagine trying to use one without
the serial console.

Andy