Subject: Re: STUPID!!! (Yes, that's me!)
To: Colin Raven <duiker@haggis.nl>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 11/01/2004 16:03:50
On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 23:57:14 +0100, Colin Raven <duiker@haggis.nl> wrote:
> Andy Ruhl wrote:
>
> > I think probably a lot of us have hosed up the root account before. It
> > happens. Part of being a unix admin. Recovering from it is what
> > seperates you from the rest. Unfortunately on the Qube this often
> > means hacking the disk from another machine if you can't get it to
> > boot into single user via a serial console.
> >

> <sob>
> /me looks at a long night ahead.
> Isn't this great though?? I mean...all the practice....excellent for
> documentation writing purposes.
> /me hits self on the head with a large book

Hmm... Do you have a toor account? I can't remember off hand if NetBSD
does this. I think it does... (I don't have a machine to log into
right now.)

If it does, do su - toor

The password might be the same as the root password, I just don't
remember off hand. It's basically another root account for you to use
when you hose up the primary one :) It's not a bad idea to create one
if security of the machine is not a concern and you expect to hose it
up regularly.

Andy