Subject: Re: Netboot help
To: Colin Raven <duiker@haggis.nl>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 11/01/2004 15:48:04
On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 15:35:04 +0100, Colin Raven <duiker@haggis.nl> wrote:
> By the way, - and somewhat orthagonally - how do you create an
> application for inclusion on a restore CD? I'm asking because...silly
> me...I detest vi with a passion, and thought that perhaps it would be a
> cool thing to have...hmmm, let's say nano on the restore disc. I've
> ruminated on this matter for a while, pondering precisely what would be
> necessary to do in order to stuff some nice extra apps on a custom CD.

Probably the best way to do this would be to add something to the
install scripts (which I haven't taken a serious look at BTW) and add
a "pkg_add XXX" and include a binary package(s) of whatever you wanted
to install at the time. Trouble is:

1. You need to have a working box to build these packages
2. You probably do need to build them yourself because I think most of
the packages at the ftp site are ancient.

If you asked me nicely, I could build them on my 2.0-release machine
for you though... Probably best to wait until 2.0 is officially
released.

Someone had posted on how to cross build everything, including pkgsrc,
a while back but I don't know what became of it. I've only ever cross
built the kernel and userland, no 3rd party stuff.

Andy