Subject: Re: Back into the Fray
To: Christopher Schultz <christopher.d.schultz@comcast.net>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 10/20/2004 11:07:33
On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 16:48:57 -0400, Christopher Schultz
<christopher.d.schultz@comcast.net> wrote:
> All,
> After quire a long hiatus, I'm returning to my Qube 2 to give it another
> shot. I have notes from previous exploits with NetBSD on the Qube 2 on
> my website (shameless plug):
>
> http://www.christopherschultz.net/projects/qube
>
> Anyhow, I haven't touched the box for a while and I booted it up to see
> how things were doing. Apparently, I had cross-compiled my own kernel
> (good for me) and installed a lot of stuff on it like Apache httpd,
> samba, perl, etc.
>
> Unfortunately, the serial consule is feeling a little strange: after
> booting up, it wouldn't respond to keypresses and then a little later,
> it reponded to a newline on the console with this:
>
>     NetBSD/cobalt (Amnesiac) (tty00)
>
>     login: Oct 17 15:22:07  login: 1 LOGIN FAILURE ON ttyp0
>     Stopped at      netbsd:cpu_Debugger+0x4:        jr      ra
>                     bdslot: nop
>     db>
>
> Perhaps I told it to do that at some point, but how the unit is locked.

I had that problem too.

It's because you are telling it to go to the debugger. It has to do
with a kernel option that allows this from the serial console. Check
this:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-cobalt/2004/07/14/0001.html

> I figure that the best thing to do since I don't care about anything on
> the disk is to simply start over again with a netboot restore image.
>
> Originally, I had used Dennis's NetBSD 1.6.1 restore image. Is there a
> more up-to-date disk image floating around anywhere?

Someone made one for 1.6.2 I believe. I was going to work on this, but
only after 2.0 becomes stable. I don't see the point in making a new
boot CD for every point release. It's simple enough to build a new
system and install it manually. Maybe if someone really automated the
boot CD making process, it would be easier, but it probably isn't
necessary. 1.6.1 is a good point to start, I was able to build
2.0-release with no problems on it.

> The NetBSD/Cobalt page mentions 1.6.2 but there's nothing on the FTP
> site under "installation" -- only a binary kernel. There's also some
> buzzing about NetBSD 2.0.
>
> I'd appreciate any information anyone can provide.

Just install 1.6.1, then go about installing whatever level you want
after that. That's my best advice.

Andy