Subject: Re: dealing with dependencies
To: Brian <bmcewen@comcast.net>
From: Ben Collver <collver@peak.org>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 10/20/2004 07:07:51
On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 10:15:22PM -0400, Brian wrote:
> I assume that updating pth will break old items, or maybe they'd be OK
> (depending on the item).  With only google or empirical testing to
> determine the result.  Or are the libraries linked and incorporated at
> build time and thus all the executables are standalone at that point?
> I had some libraries mentioned that nothing else on the system used; so
> I went and updated those as requested.

The libraries are typically dynamic linked at runtime.

> What will pkgsrc DO with the items that depend on the pth2.0.0 when/if
> I build the 2.0.0nb2 one?  Can I trust it to not wreak havoc (by
> deleting or rebuilding lots of stuff)?  I assume that I could just make
> a backup copy of /usr/pkg/include and similar directories to keep
> original items safe in case of issues.

Building the new pth package will not overwrite anything.  It gets
overwritten when you run "make replace".  Whether replacing pth breaks
anything depends on if the API has changed.  You would need to look
through the changes in CVS between 2.0.0 and 2.0.0nb2 to be sure of
that.  If you do "make replace", you can revert to the old package later
by going "make undo-replace".  This is an experimental target, and you
need to leave the work directory alone.

> As long as it isn't touching SSL/SSHd items I don't really care; the
> rest of the items mentioned are onm the system mostly for fun or
> convenience.  Although I am streaming some MP3 files for use in a
> biology lab, so while I don't wish to take down icecast for very long,
> they are mostly done with that lab so it could come down for a bit.

ldd /usr/sbin/sshd | grep pth # shows no library dependency

Cheers,

Ben