Subject: Back into the Fray
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Christopher Schultz <christopher.d.schultz@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 10/17/2004 16:48:57
--------------enig26F4CD6852D3430D8FDA355E

All,
After quire a long hiatus, I'm returning to my Qube 2 to give it another
shot. I have notes from previous exploits with NetBSD on the Qube 2 on
my website (shameless plug):

http://www.christopherschultz.net/projects/qube

Anyhow, I haven't touched the box for a while and I booted it up to see
how things were doing. Apparently, I had cross-compiled my own kernel
(good for me) and installed a lot of stuff on it like Apache httpd,
samba, perl, etc.

Unfortunately, the serial consule is feeling a little strange: after
booting up, it wouldn't respond to keypresses and then a little later,
it reponded to a newline on the console with this:

    NetBSD/cobalt (Amnesiac) (tty00)

    login: Oct 17 15:22:07  login: 1 LOGIN FAILURE ON ttyp0
    Stopped at      netbsd:cpu_Debugger+0x4:        jr      ra
                    bdslot: nop
    db>

Perhaps I told it to do that at some point, but how the unit is locked.

I figure that the best thing to do since I don't care about anything on
the disk is to simply start over again with a netboot restore image.

Originally, I had used Dennis's NetBSD 1.6.1 restore image. Is there a
more up-to-date disk image floating around anywhere?

The NetBSD/Cobalt page mentions 1.6.2 but there's nothing on the FTP
site under "installation" -- only a binary kernel. There's also some
buzzing about NetBSD 2.0.

I'd appreciate any information anyone can provide.

Thanks,
-chris