Subject: Re: Booting problems and/or how to keep from having them
To: Dale P. Smith <dsmith@actron.com>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 07/27/2004 10:52:28
On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:34:58 -0400, Dale P. Smith <dsmith@actron.com> wrote:
> The cobalt "bios" is actually a linux kernel in rom.  It definitely
> has some size limitations, both compressed and uncompressed.  Search
> the archives of this list for more info.
>
> To get around these problems, the current netbsd "rescue" disk installs
> a netbsd bootloader but renamed as vmlinux.gz so the linux firmware
> can load/run it.  It does not have the size limitations that the
> firmware loader has.  It (of course) knows about netbsd partions and
> netbsd kernel names, so you don't need to fiddle around with copying a
> new kernel to the linux partition anymore.

D'oh.

That should have been obvious when I saw the size of the vmlinux.gz file...

That's cool then. I'll just leave that bootloader in place for now
then. That makes things easier doesn't it?

BTW, I've been trying to search on various things and I don't come up
with what I'm looking for, and then later on someone posts a link to
the archives that has the answer. I dont' know what's going on with
that. I suppose I'll just go through and read the archives more.

Andy