Subject: Booting problems and/or how to keep from having them
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 07/25/2004 08:03:54
If you want to build different kernels, I've found that it's a really
good idea to copy a known good one (gzipped of course) to
(/altroot)/usr/games/.doug. Just copy your known good vmlinux.gz
kernel over there. Then when the darn thing won't boot, you can just
power it down, and power it back up while holding down all 4 direction
buttons and it boots /usr/games/.doug from the ext2 partition. This
Doug person probably kept learning this lesson the hard way about
kernels not booting!

It seems like boot sometimes "just fails" and I can't really tell why.
I know I built a 2.0 kernel recently that was bigger than the gzipped
limit that the firmware can handle and I forgot about it... I think
the generic 2.0-release kernel right now won't work on the Qube2
because of this. But I've tried to build kernels that nfs boot and
they don't get loaded by the firmware properly for whatever reason.
Weird.

Andy