Subject: Current state of my Qube
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 07/23/2004 12:54:24
If anyone can add anything to these as discussion items, it would be great:

o I put in a 200 gig disk, and it boots, but I dislabeled it when it
was connected in a USB case on another machine and I think it was
giving me bogus geometry. And I didn't bother to check it. I expect it
will work fine once I get it straightened out.

o I copied in the USB options and added the include for usb in the
files file, built a kernel (off of 1.6-release) and it now detects the
onboard USB controller and also a card I installed. There may be some
problem with it though, it's saying it can't map i/o space or
something... I'll check it out. I'm not good with C code so I don't
know what I can do. I'm hoping I can get USB working though, that
would be useful.

o I built 1.6-release and it took something like 2 days. That was
without X. It seems to run OK as far as I can tell. I've got the sets
here, but I'm not sure what they would buy you over 1.6.2.

o I still haven't found a decent donor for a power supply. I'm finding
that 12v power supplies aren't all that cheap if you can't find one
that's used and built for some obsolete laptop. I may have to try to
build one or something.

o I tried to build 2.0-release a while back but it didn't build. I'll
check back into it at some point since that's what we should be using
now if at all possible.

o postgresql from pkgsrc won't compile due to some CPU limitation. I
set an configure option to disable spinlocks, and it would finish
building without errors, but it would not actually build the
postmaster executable. Weird. Seems like 2 problems: 1. It won't build
right. 2. The package build should fail. I compiled it from source,
but it complains when I try to do an initdb. MySQL built just fine but
I didn't try to use it. But I REALLY don't want to use MySQL.

o It might be worthwhile to put into the FAQ that even though this
thing has a 64 bit processor, we are running a 32 bit OS. I guess
there is a mips64 project but it's not very advanced yet.

Andy