Subject: Re: Problems
To: <>
From: Christopher Schultz <christopher.d.schultz@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 07/22/2004 08:16:35
--------------enigF0CF0FA1275346F969F08340

Claudio,

> Sorry to bother you again, finally I have my Qube running NetBSD and
> integrated to my network thanks to the folks of www.rushmere.NET and their
> usefull How To but now I have another problem, how can install software in
> the Qube?; I try through SSH making an upload to the Qube from my computer
> but nothing happend, can you tip me the right way to do this please??,
> thanks.

Well, it's more complicated than just uploading files. Once you've got
the package onto your Qube, you have to install it yourself.

The easiest way to get packages into your Qube is probably to SSH To the
Qube and then use SCP to pull the package down from another machine. Or,
if you have a URL to the package online somewhere, you can use 'wget' to
download it right to the Qube.

After that, you'll have to unpack the archive (they're usually .tar.gz
files) and follow the installation instructions for the package.

Often, packages are provided as an easy-to-install "Package" through
some type of package manager. I'm sure someone on the list can provide
information about NetBSD's package manager ... I know nothing about it
and have never used it. I have lots of experience with RedHat's RPM, and
enough experience with Debian's to be dangerous.

Sorry I can't be or mre help.

-chris