Subject: Re: paneld and /dev/lcd on 1.6.1 on the qube
To: None <port-cobalt@NetBSD.org>
From: Christopher Schultz <christopher.d.schultz@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 07/22/2004 08:12:52
--------------enigB4D3126F38AE8E143FF6D712

Andy,

>>Note that a lot of users seem to disable it due to cpu use.  With
>>paneld running load average never drops below 1, at least on my raq1
>
> Same here, Qube2.
>
> Anyone check to see what it's actually doing?
>
> This sounds a little newbie, but what exactly is paneld needed for? I
> can cat to /dev/lcd just fine...

Paneld lets you use the buttons to run other programs, just like on the
Linux version that comes with the Qubes (and Raq's?). You can scroll
through the list of menus, reconfigure network settings, shut down and
restart the Qube, etc.

If you want, you can even hack the config file and put anything on that
menu that you want, and have it execute any program in response to you
selecting that menu item. Possibly useful for something like a network
panic where you want to immediately halt incoming traffic on one of the
NICs -- perhaps the one connected to the wild, wild Internet.

-chris