Subject: Got one, some notes
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 07/12/2004 23:59:43
Here are some miscellaneous ramblings:

o These things probably ship well because mine was packed so bad that
I wouldn't ship a lead pipe to my mother in law in the same way it was
packed.

o I had to run the install 3 times from the restore CD. It hung a few
times here and there. I didn't notice that the serial console shows
the entire install process until the 3rd time I hooked it up and
everything went smooth that time.

o Mine was advertised to have 64 megs of memory but only has 32. The
installer made a swap partition of 64 megs. I'll probably manually
install it with a partitioning scheme I like a little better after I
get more memory.

o If you're ham fisted, think twice about these. I caught my hand on a
transistor on the top of the CPU board and almost tore it off. It has
a general feeling of "fragileness".

o I put my finger against the CPU and it was a little bit hot. Are
there any known CPU heat problems?

o The power supply is definitely hot. All I did was put in a 14 gig
IBM drive in place of the stock 6 gig one (which was advertised to be
12 gigs).

o I didn't get a power cord with the power supply (another thing that
annoys me about buying from Ebay) so I hacked up one that I had with a
busted Dreamcast I have. I had to carve one end so it would fit into
the power supply.

o Disk I/O seems to really work this thing hard. I was doing tar xvzf
on pkgsrc.tar.gz and it panicked it. Couldn't get a dump, it was
"locked on itself" in tar.

Anyway, more later. This is fun so far.

Andy