Subject: RAQ 1 install
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Harrison Page <harrison@hanford.org>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 05/21/2004 04:47:52
Hello,

I recently used the rescue disk to install NetBSD 1.6.1 to
my raq 1. The rescue disk is a marvelous invention, it worked
well. I installed using image_raq1.iso.gz from here:
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/cobalt/restore-cd/1.6.1

I cannot get the serial port to act as a console. When the server
boots, it sends messages from the prom and bootloader to
the serial port:

> Decompressing done
> Decompressing -/ done.
> >> NetBSD/cobalt 1.6U Bootloader, Revision 0.1 [@0x81000000]
> >> (cdi@merlin.camelot.net, Fri Jun 27 20:23:25 CEST 2003)
> >> Memory:              65536 k
> >> PROM boot string:    root=/dev/hda1 ro
> 1745232+136952 [66288+57321]=0x1e9d38
> Starting at 0x80001000

After this point, though, the serial port is silent after
NetBSD starts booting.

The file /etc/ttys has what I think are appropriate (default) entries:

> console "/usr/libexec/getty std.115200" vt100   off secure
> tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.115200" vt100   on secure

I see this in ps: /usr/libexec/getty std.115200 tty00

Any help getting the serial console to work would be welcome.
So far, the server has crashed twice and I am hoping to get
a clue from console output.

Thank you,