Subject: Re: general setup fun
To: Joe Pribele <jpribele@sympatico.ca>
From: Byron Servies <bservies@pacang.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 03/08/2004 22:17:33
On Mar 8, 2004, at 8:53 PM, Joe Pribele wrote:

> thanks to everyone's help I seem to be getting further in the setup of
> my
> qube.

Glad to hear it.

> On my list of things to do is setup file sharing or the bsd equivalent
> (samba?), so I can copy files to the qube from my pc.

NFS is the native file sharing mechanism.  Microsoft includes that in
their unix services pack:

<http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/downloads/default.asp>

Or, you can build the samba package (/usr/pkgsrc/net/samba, I believe)
and set that up.

> figure out why on my network the hostname doesn't resolve to an ip ?
> ping qube //doesn't work
> ping 192.168.0.2 works

there is probably no entry for your host name in either the qubes
/etc/hosts file or in your dns server.  Or your dns server is set up
incorrectly.  You might want to refer to:

<http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/>

For some step-by-step instructions.

HTH,

Byron