Subject: Re: New HD and installing via restore CD
To: Andreas Yankopolus <andreas@yank.to>
From: Byron Servies <bservies@pacang.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 12/07/2003 20:50:46
On Dec 7, 2003, at 8:33 PM, Andreas Yankopolus wrote:

> I'm planning to install NetBSD on a Qube 2 with a blank HD later in
> the week and have been educating myself by reading through this
> mailing list's archives. Does the restore CD installation method
> handle any of the low-level drive preparation tasks (partitioning,
> formatting, etc)? Or, do I need to prep the drive in another machine
> or in the Qube after a netboot?
>
> I've installed Linux dozens of times, but this will be my first
> attempt with *BSD or a headless / netboot install.

The restore CD does it all.  It uses the whole disk, including large
disks (I used a 60GB disk in mine), sets up the boot partition,
installs a boot loader and everything.  All I did to mine was build a
new kernel with things turned on to make it a gateway and nat/firewall
machine.

The bootloader is especially nice, because it allows us to load kernels
that would normally be too large to boot!   It's really outstanding.

HTH,

Byron