Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Qube 2/NetBSD 1.6 regular instability]
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Spray <cobalt@minimal.cx>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 10/06/2003 10:46:35
On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 10:08:58PM -0700, Kevin Lahey wrote:

> Wow, I know this is a way to totally jinx myself, but my Qube is
> doing great now and has been for quite some time.  I have additional
> memory (160MB total) plus a bigger hard disk (60GB total).  I don't
> use it really hard, but I've certainly transfered multiple gigabytes
> of data with no problems.

I am wondering if I'm asking too much of the hardware, but that sort of
thought would need to be backed up with more crash data.

> OTOH, I'm running -current.  Some time ago, I had problems with
> crashes when doing ttcp, and all sorts of other issues, but they
> seem to be solved now.  I can get about 2500KB/sec with ttcp,
> which is, upon reflection, pretty slow, but at least it works.
> You might wanna try updating your system, although I realize this
> is a pain.

Heh - the Qube is the main server for my house as well as external accounts
and websites, so pain is, well, an understatement :)  Once I've moved the
data over to the (sob) PIII machine then apart from getting scared of
opening the electricty bill next quarter I'll be able to play around with
both 1.6.1 and -current.  I agree that it's absolutely not fair to complain
about such an old version as 1.6, but it's taken a while for the problem to
get annoying enough for me to find an alternative system for the interim,
which I guess shows how much I like NetBSD and the Qube !

I've never seen anything as high as 2500Kb via ftp (my best was 1700Kb) so
it certainly looks like getting the latest cvs version will be interesting,
especially browsing the diff's between -current and 1.6

TTFN,
--
ian.
PGP Fingerprint: D170 35A3 C858 6E85 9B5B  1557 4CD5 6F6F E176 2D0A