Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Qube 2/NetBSD 1.6 regular instability]
To: Chas Posinoff <wkm00jtd02@sneakemail.com>
From: Ian Spray <cobalt@minimal.cx>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 10/06/2003 10:40:37
On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 04:11:47PM -0700, Chas Posinoff wrote:

> Ian - you might want to read through the list archives - I've seen
> someone post such baselines a few months ago.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

> Problem is, there is not a ton of activity on this list and so the issue
> went unexamined, afaik ;  )  I think it would be great to pin down - I
> am hoping this qube2 will provide decent bandwidth for webhosting +
> audio streaming. Can anyone share experiences with that kind of setup?

Well I use mine for hosting a few sites behind a 1Mb/256kb cable modem and
it works just fine (apart from the lack of >25 day uptime !).  The sites
have SHTML and PHP code on them, Apache uses mod_bandwidth and mod_gzip to
ease the lack of outgoing bandwidth and I manage to serve Gb of data
monthly.  Audio streaming isn't something that I've done too much of - I
have used daapd and Zeroconf to play mp3 files via iTunes, but that quickly
maxed out the CPU and gave hiccups in playback every 5 minutes or so.  I
then used netatalk to mount the directory and QuickTime to play the mp3 and
it never got above 9% usage for netatalk, so there's just some code tweaking
needed in daapd to reduce the load.

I did look and putting a soundcard in the system, but before I got around to
trying my recompiled kernel there were a few posts from people who had done
just that and couldn't get the audio to work properly, so I didn't bother
with that.

--
ian.
PGP Fingerprint: D170 35A3 C858 6E85 9B5B  1557 4CD5 6F6F E176 2D0A