Subject: Re: upgrading to 1.6.1 (is there a cd?)
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Andre Schulze <as8@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 08/05/2003 10:09:55
Am Mon den 04 Aug 2003 um 09:50:54PM -0700 schrieb wkm00jtd02@sneakemail.com:
> I'm a little confused.
> What I think you are describing is:
>
> a) Take a pre-existing 1.6.0 system

Or some other version, yes.

> b) download all the  archives from
> "ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6.1/cobalt/binary/sets"

Right, except the config files, of course.

> c) extract all archives on top of the 1.6.0 system, overwriting older
> versions of files
>
> Is this what you mean?

Exactly, what is so unusual about this ;-)

Am Mon den 04 Aug 2003 um 03:39:26PM +0100 schrieb Frank Mattes:

> just for my own education, and because I need to re-install netbsd
> after sorting out my harddisk problem (eg getting a new drive). How
> do you stop all services ?

I did this manually by saying /etc/rc.d/${foo} stop
After a quick look at the init manpage, it seems this can be done
better by sending a SIGTERM to init:

init will terminate multi-user operations and resume single-user mode if
sent a terminate (TERM) signal, for example, ``kill -s TERM 1''.

HTH,

	andre