Subject: Re: patched kernel mentioned in faq
To: Jake Baillie <jake@priva.com>
From: Julien Rampon <jtb@diantre.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 01/15/2003 11:16:34
--=.3ZX0A(QRDTa6qU

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 23:42:48 EST (-0500)
"Jake Baillie" <jake@priva.com> wrote:

Hi ,

> a) My RAM is different. I have 160 MB.

The diagnostic is done by the cobalt's BIOS, so if it see 64Mb, you've certainly got a problem with your RAM, not form the OS

> b) My bfd command is: "bfd /boot/vmlinux_raq-2800.gz nfsroot=/nfsroot".
> Yes, my NFS share is accessible and the file is there, because I can
> see the raq transfer the file with NFS (using tcpdump on the host
> machine).

Just try without bfd command and push on the left and right panel buton and look what append on your console (this is the way I installed my cobalts... and just work very fine)

> c) I never receive the "done" message after the bootloader kernel
> decompression. It just reboots, and puts be back into diagnostics mode,
> ready to boot the regular kernel unless I interrupt it again.

I had the same problem when my kernel was too big. Please, check that your kernel.gz (or in this case mlinux_raq-2800.gz) is samller than 1M and 2.5M uncompressed.
You can cross-compile a kernel for cobalt on NetBSD or FreeBSD i386 (works very fine), add the option "config          netbsd        root on ? type nfs" and remove other option that you don't have utility to get your kernel smaller.

Hope it will help you

Julien

PS: be indulgent for my poor english :)

--=.3ZX0A(QRDTa6qU