Subject: RE: patched kernel mentioned in faq
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Jake Baillie <jake@priva.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 01/14/2003 21:44:08
At 04:45 PM 1/14/2003 -0500, Daniel Ouellet wrote:
>If that can help you get started, you can get one from here:
>
>http://realconnect.com/NetBSD/
>
>There is the old Linux stuff as well.
>
>After your box is working, replace it with the original from the NetBSD
>site.
>
>Hope this help.

Well, I retrieved the kernel. I have some fun issues, now.

I have a raq2 mips. Dual Ethernet, 30 GB maxtor hard drive. Runs CobaltOS
just fine, and I want to put NetBSD on there just to get to learn NetBSD (I
know, start on i386, but I don't listen well. :)).

I followed the netboot directions at the bottom of the FAQ to the letter. I
fired up tcpdump, reset the box using the left and right keys, and tailed
my messages log for dhcpd messages. Both tcpdump and dhcpd on the host see
the cobalt, acknowledge its request for both the IP address and nfs
request, and the cobalt requests the kernel.

No problem up until this point. Then, after about 30 seconds of network
activity, the cobalt seemed to just start CobaltOS. Weird. I tried again,
no luck.

So, I hooked up a console. Ran "bfd /boot/vmlinux_raq-2800.gz
nfsroot=/nfsroot" and watched it do it's magic. It decompressed the kernel,
went to town on the network again, and then the son-of-a-bitch rebooted.
Which explains the appearance of it "just starting" CobaltOS.

Any ideas why it just might reboot like that?

TIA,
Jake