Subject: Re: Netbooting a Cobalt Qube from a NetBSD box...
To: Port-Cobalt <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Robert P. Thille <rthille@mac.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 11/27/2002 22:01:07
On Wednesday, November 27, 2002, at 08:47  PM, Jamie Heilman wrote:

>> But it's unclear from the FAQ and the Diskless NetBSD guide whether I
>> really need the tftp server setup or not?  Can I get away with just
>> the
>> NFS server?  Does the ROM in the Cobalt Qube2 understand NFS, or only
>> TFTP?
>
> If your netbsd kernel is on the appropriate ext2-formatted partition
> already, then no, you don't need the tftp server, just boot that
> kernel, mount / over nfs, and away you go.

Alas, I was netbooting because I botched an upgrade to 1.6, and don't
remember the names of any of the backup kernels :-(

So, it sounds like the Qube2 will load a kernel via tftp, but you don't
need that if you've already got a (working) netbsd kernel on the
drive...

But, now I figured out what the name of one of the old kernels I had in
/altroot/boot and managed to boot the box and switch back to the 1.5.2
kernel.  Turns out that my 1.6 kernel is too big :-(  I'll try again
without some of the options I guess I don't _really_ need...

Robert