Subject: Re: Netbooting a Cobalt Qube from a NetBSD box...
To: Robert P. Thille <rthille@mac.com>
From: Kevin Lahey <kml@patheticgeek.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 11/27/2002 20:38:18
In message <D3A01BAA-0287-11D7-A875-0030657903A2@mac.com>,
"Robert P. Thille" writes:

>I've got dhcpd setup and it claims that it's got a boot request from
>the Qube I'm trying to netboot:
>Nov 27 20:07:09 bluesky dhcpd: BOOTREQUEST from 00:10:e0:00:d1:f9 via
>tlp0
>Nov 27 20:07:09 bluesky dhcpd: BOOTREPLY for 10.0.1.8 to
>iceqube.thille.org (00:10:e0:00:d1:f9) via tlp0
>
>And I think I've got the dhcpd.conf file setup correctly (it give
>address out to all the machines just fine):

I'm not sure what "next-server" is;  I didn't use that.
Other than that, it looked okay to me.

>But it's unclear from the FAQ and the Diskless NetBSD guide whether I
>really need the tftp server setup or not?  Can I get away with just the
>NFS server?  Does the ROM in the Cobalt Qube2 understand NFS, or only
>TFTP?

I never needed tfptd, I think NFS should be sufficient.  Could you run
tcpdump on your server while the Qube is booting, and see what it looks
like?  That'll probably answer most of your questions.  If not, then
post the tcpdump traces and someone on here might be able to help...

Kevin
kml@patheticgeek.net