Subject: Re: problems with tlp driver
To: Nick Barkas <nick@replic.net>
From: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@wheel.dk>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 03/19/2002 13:34:06
On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 08:46:38PM -0800, Nick Barkas wrote:
> tlp0 at pci0 dev 7 function 0: DECchip 21143 Ethernet, pass 4.1
> tlp0: sorry, unable to handle your board
>
> I've seen others with simailar problems in the list archives, and it seems that
> I'm going to need a custom kernel to get around this problem.  I've tried
> a few different 1.5 and 1.5.2 cobalt kernels and they all have the same problem.

The standard GENERIC kernels do work with at least some of those
'21143 with non-standard SROM' Cobalts.

I can only assume that the one you have is somehow a variation.

It would be helpful to know what exactly the PCI configuration space
and SROM contents look like. This can be done by adding 'option
PCI_CONFIG_DUMP' to the kernel and having tlp_parse_old_srom() in
sys/dev/ic/tulip.c print out the SROM.

> Unfortunately I don't have another netbsd machine around and am unfamiliar with
> cross compiling, so patching the kernel myself would be rather difficult.  Does

If you do it with -current, cross-compiling should be very easy,
regardless of the type of system you are doing it on.

I suggest you try it out and post again if you have problems.

--
Soren