Subject: Re: cobalt qube: install without cable
To: Matthew Luckie <kluckie@ihug.co.nz>
From: Ted Unangst <tedu@stanford.edu>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 10/07/2001 12:30:39
On Sun, 7 Oct 2001, Matthew Luckie wrote:

> I have taken a tcpdump of what happens when the qube is netbooted with the
> following line:
> tcpdump -n -l -vvv net 192.168.0.66
> and put it up at http://moat.nlanr.net/~mjl/tcpdump.txt.gz (80kb)
>
> i have noticed that there are lots of messages such as the following in the
> dump:
> 15:59:16.668813 192.168.0.1.2049 > 192.168.0.66.4250027459: reply ok 116
> lookup
> ERROR: No such file or directory (ttl 64, id 15331, len 144)

you should be able to see what file it is requesting.  However, to do
this, I had to run tcpdump with -s 1024 or so, in order to make it examine
the whole packet.

> i found that there were some stray symlinks in the /nfsroot that the tgz's
> had pointing relative to root, so i re-symlinked them to their netbsd
> counterparts (after failing to netboot the qube) although that didnt fix
> anything:

You don't neet to do that.  After netbooting, the qube sees /nfsroot as /.
So the links point to the right place.

> I've never admin'd nfsd before, so i do not know how to find out what files
> it cannot actually find.
> i looked in /var/log/messages but there wasn't anything there.

See above.  Also, try mounting it on another machine to see what it looks
like.

--
"People have criticized me because my security detail is larger
than the president's.  But you must ask yourself: are there more