Subject: Re: disk swap on a qube?
To: Kevin Lahey <kml@dotrocket.com>
From: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@wheel.dk>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 03/05/2001 21:01:54
On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 11:50:43AM -0800, Kevin Lahey wrote:
> Rather than trash the Linux disk, I just bought a new 20GB disk.
> As I got ready to install it, I noticed that it had a draw of 700mA/800mA,
> whereas the OEM disk drew only 650mA.  Is this something I should worry
> about, or will the box handle it okay?

I wouldn't worry, but that's just me.

The RaQ's are designed to take two disks. Don't know if the
Qube has a power supply with similar capacity.

> Any thoughts?  I guess I'm willing to trash the Linux disk, but I figure
> that about five minutes after I do that, I'll have some problem that'll
> require a firmware update or something else that is easy to fix from

I don't know of any available firmware upgrades, and the MIPS
aren't produced anymore, so..

Anyway, the firmware prompt has an update command, so I expect
it would go through that.

> the Linux partition, but impossible to fix from NetBSD.  Or I'll learn,
> "Linux emulation is easy, you just take the library files from your
> Linux partition..."  Buying a new disk for less than $100 just seemed

We don't have Linux emulation on MIPS yet.

--
Soren