Subject: Re: installation: Executing bootloader kernel... then stall
To: thh@marketchannel.tv, Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
From: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@wheel.dk>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 12/15/2000 22:50:38
On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 01:23:25PM -0800, thh@marketchannel.tv wrote:
> So far I've copied netbsd-GENERIC.gz  to /boot, set up a box to serve up
> the Qube's ip address and file system.
>
> Things appear to go well until it executes the bootloader kernel.
>
>         Cobalt: bfd /boot/netbsd-GENERIC.gz root=/dev/nfs
> nfsroot=/data/netBSD
>         Decompressing done
>         Executing bootloader kernel...
>
> I'm not hearing any disk activity, the LCD reads "Starting Up", there's
> network traffic. 15 minutes later I'm still seeing more of the same.

If this is the stock 1.5 kernel, the name is netbsd.GENERIC.gz (note
that dot) and the Qube could well be unhappy about not finding the
file or some other netbooting parameter.

Ethereal (pkgsrc/net/ethereal) or some other quick-overview network
dumper is very useful to spot this sort of thing, since you don't
get much feedback if you configured something wrong otherwise.

--
Soren