Subject: Re: NetBSD/cobalt newbie questions
To: Robert Paulson <fernando@secret.org>
From: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@wheel.dk>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 12/01/2000 08:41:06
On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 01:42:54AM -0500, Robert Paulson wrote:
> I have a RaQ2 that I am interested in loading NetBSD on.
>
> Is NetBSD/cobalt ready for production use?

The installation process is rather manual, but other than that sure.

> What is the easiest way to get a kernel onto the drive? Can I mount the
> drive under a Linux server and say replace /boot/vmlinux.gz or
> /usr/games/.doug with the netbsd kernel? Or should I netboot the server
> and use the tools in the nfsroot to download the packages to the built-in
> drive?

You will need to netboot the distribution initially. You can either
netboot the kernel also or put it in e.g. /usr/games/.doug and boot
it with -a and then mount an NFS root.

> Is there a How-To for setting up a netboot server on NetBSD or FreeBSD to
> have something to netboot the cobalt from?

The FAQ and mailing list archive have explanations on how to do that.

> Has anyone tried to compile and install BIND or Apache or Big Brother on a
> NetBSD/cobalt system? Positive or negative experiences?

BIND is included in the base system. Apache works fine.

> Do you need to be concerned with setting up a swap partition, or can you
> just use a swapfile?

Either is fine.

> Can any of the old Linux binaries be used, or should I just scrap all the

We don't have Linux emulation on MIPS, so no.

--
Soren