Subject: Re: Various cats problems
To: None <Richard.Earnshaw@buzzard.freeserve.co.uk>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@dokein.co.uk>
List: port-cats
Date: 05/04/2004 23:33:18
On Tue, 04 May 2004 23:14:00 +0100
Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@buzzard.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> Chris,
>
> There still seem to be numerous problems on the Cats with 2.0 beta.
>
> - Booting a non-standard kernel (eg at the firmware prompt typing boot
>
> wd0:/testnetbsd.aout) seems to lead to the console being dead once
> bootstrap is complete (you can type in the name of the root file
> system and init program, but you can't login afterwards).

How big is the kernel? if it's over 4 (or 5MB) it will start to boot and
then stop somewhere.

what version of cyclone is this?

> - Kernels built with LOCKDEBUG will panic very quickly once booted.

Where do they panic?

> - (maybe related to the above):  I've just had a kernel lock up with
> huge numbers of processes stuck in vnlock.
>
> Do you have any clues about the above?  It really doesn't look as
> though the cats port is in good shape at this time.

Hmm, I really need to update my systems, I'm very busy with work at the
moment.  If I can find the time I'll try 2.0 on one of my cats, see if
it works.

> (All this is with a Cyclone firmware, but I don't know if that's
> relevant or not -- I'm disinclined to go to ABLE since there seems to
> be no easy route back again afterwards).

I believe you can go back from ABLE to Cyclone, but Nick mentioned some
issues with ABLE...

Chris