Port-cats archive

Re: INSTALL kernel using tlp0 again

> Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha%buzzard.freeserve.co.uk@localhost> writes:
>
> > The tlp driver doesn't find its MII, consequently the machine will panic
> > as soon as you try to do anything with the driver (such as run 'ifconfig
> > -a').  That's fatal and means you can't install anything over the network.
>
> That's still specific to your card. I maintain that working by default
> with recent common cards is more important than working with your
> card, as unfortunate a tradeoff as that is.

That depends on your point of view.  Are you saying that the de driver
doesn't work with your card? or are you just suggesting that because you
don't have problems every one else just has to suffer?

Personally, I've stopped using the de card anyway, but it's still plugged
into the machine (so I can netboot the machine if needs be without
dismantling it).  But the fact that the card is plugged in is enough to
make the INSTALL kernel panic.  That in my opinion makes its presence
unacceptable.

R.