Subject: Re: Simtec Announcement
To: None <vince@simtec.co.uk>
From: None <chris@dokein.co.uk>
List: port-cats
Date: 03/09/2004 09:44:13
Hi Vince,

> If you own a CATS board please visit
> http://www.simtec.co.uk/products/EB110ATX/resources.html and read the
> Product Change Notification.

Could this be the cause of the long reported bug:
http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=3D10502
which many people had put down to broken hardware...

I'll change the jumpers and see if I can repro the issue.

Is it worth adding a check for these jumpers being wrong to the kernel
boot up code, so it's visible to users running cats boxen headless?  (is
it easy to detect in software?)

> Recently there has been some discussion about ABLE our next generation
> boot loader. I would just like to make clear that there is *no* GPL
> code in ABLE and only minimal BSD code (headers for the ffs
> filesystem). ABLE is an underived original work not based on any other
> code base. Sorry to have to stress that but otherwise someone might
> get the wrong idea.
>
> It has been mentioned ABLE is more "Linux" in its approach. I hope
> this isn't the general perception! ABLE is intended to be its own
> interface, it is a boot loader not an OS after all. Perhaps this idea
> has come about because of the naming of partition aliases? they are
> just names, usually the (hd0) aliases would be used. If a (wd0a) type
> set of names would be useful please let me know and I will look at
> including that naming scheme in addition.

I suspect that it is the perception due to the change from wdxx to hdx.
Possibly the issues with earlier ABLE not working well with NetBSD as
well.

> I would encourage all users to upgrade to ABLE 1.95 to gain access to
> the new features it offers, it is also being actively maintained
> unlike cyclone which is beginning to show its age.

Certainly I've been using 1.93 beta firmware on my -current cats box, it'=
fixed most of the issues I've had with earlier ABLE builds.  I'll update
my -current cats box this evening.  If people want to try ELF kernels the=
should find the options in the GENERIC kernel to build ELF kernels.

Long term I'd like to move to ELF kernels, as it would avoid the issues
with converting from ELF to a.out.

Thanks,
Chris