Subject: Re: Help with info on Diskdrive
To: Chris Pinnock <cjep@fawlty.net>
From: mclinch <mclinch@chigwell-school.org>
List: port-cats
Date: 06/26/2003 12:33:07
Chris

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 03:41:13PM +0100, mclinch wrote:
>> Can anyone help with how to format and spare out the first drive (wd0
>> )
>> on a cats box.
>> I have tried to use an install kernal but it exits with an error, so I
>> guess the disk is broken
>> even though it shows up as a bootable device.
>
> What are the errors?
>
> best wishes,
> Chris

On power up the screen displays:

wd0   Maxtor Disc
wd0 5495 Mb  and details re disc parameters
At boot time :-

boot> No Disklabel
input/output eror

If I try :-
boot> boot cd0:/netbsd
raw:  1876943 total: 0x1ca3cf
exec: No Entry point

It seems to me that there are two possibilities :
a The CDRom does not have a valid image on it
and/or
b The disc is bad.

I had understood that you could boot a kernel and then label the disc,
but it does npot happen for me.

Sorry again for not being a BSD man but I am getting a headache and
would like to stop banging my head
against the wall.

Regards
mike