Subject: cats X running nvidia GF 4MX
To: None <port-cats@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@dokein.co.uk>
List: port-cats
Date: 11/04/2002 09:45:17
Hi,

Just thought I'd let people know that it seems to now be possible to run
your cats box with an nvidia card in it.  Having aquired a reasonably
cheap one it seems to happily work (note that boot up takes ages due to
bios emulation, but it gets there)  If anyone else is interested let me
know I'll build some binaries (I had to tweak a few bits, which I will
be checking in the diff for)

Note that you need:
Option	"NoAccel"	"True"
set otherwise the X server goes into a loop waiting for something to
happen, I suspect some kind of caching issue, IE I need to map the gfx
card registers into a not cacheable region, or implement
mem_barrier/write_mem_barrier properly.  I'm going to look into why this
happens in the near future.

Anyway a quick snippet of a few lines from X log:
PCI:*(0:10:0) NVidia GeForce4 MX 420 rev 163, Mem @ 0x09000000/24,
0x10000000/27, 0x18000000/19, BIOS @ 0x18080000/17

(--) NV(0): Chipset: "GeForce4 MX 420"
(**) NV(0): Depth 16, (--) framebuffer bpp 16
(==) NV(0): RGB weight 565
(==) NV(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(**) NV(0): Option "NoAccel" "True"
(==) NV(0): Using HW cursor
(**) NV(0): Acceleration disabled
(--) NV(0): Linear framebuffer at 0x10000000
(--) NV(0): MMIO registers at 0x9000000

(--) NV(0): VideoRAM: 65536 kBytes

Chris