Port-bebox archive

Re: Successful install of a current NetBSD/bebox system

On 1 June 2014 18:14, Frank Wille <phx%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just a status report. It works! So I have requested pull-up for my
> mkbootimage fixes. NetBSD-6 should work as well.
>
> After replacing bad disks and a broken floppy disk drive I managed to boot
> the installation kernel. The system (66MHz, 80MB) is now booting and running
> multiuser from a SCSI disk (still needs the boot-floppy, though).

Excellent - congrats :)

> As everybody loves boot-logs, here it is:
>[...]
> ne1 at pci0 dev 15 function 0: Realtek 8029 Ethernet
> ne1: Ethernet address 00:00:b4:xx:xx:xx
> ne1: 10base2, 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, auto, default [0x00 0x30] auto
> ne1: interrupting at irq 29
> isa0 at pcib0
> lpt0 at isa0 port 0x378-0x37b irq 7
> ne0 at isa0 port 0x300-0x31f irq 5
> ne0: NE2000 Ethernet
> ne0: Ethernet address 00:10:88:xx:xx:xx

mmm... routing :-p

Random comments below - apologies for any which may be bleedin' obvious :)

> Things that don't work yet:
>
> 1. Reboot. All blinken lights (left and right) are activated. Then the
>    system hangs, until I manually press the reset buttons.

Linux ran on the BeBox at one point - I wonder if it would be easy to
check what it did to reboot?

> 2. illegal request, data = 0 0 0 0 24 0 0 cb 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 ff ff ff ff...
>    when booting from SCSI is suspicious. Although the boot loader continues
>    to load the kernel.
>
> 3. Similar problem when booting from disk. There is always one read error,
>    and it's always the same. No matter which disk or kernel:
>        func: F_READ
>         st0 = 0x44
>         st1 = 0x4
>         st2 = 0x10
>           c = 0x3
>           h = 0x1
>           r = 0x3
>           n = 0x2
>    The kernel loads nevertheless.

What happens with the boot loader - does it get an error and
automatically retry the request?
I wonder it it could be something not initialised in the hardware?
When you say "3.. from disk" is that IDE?

> 4. Audio, wss(4), doesn't work. There is no crash or other malfunction,
>    but the internal speaker and the external audio connectors remain
>    silent

Nothing that can be tweaked in mixerctl?

> 5. Floppy disk driver fdc(4) doesn't work. It reads something from disk,
>    but it has nothing to do with the disk's contents.
>
> 6. mcclock(4) doesn't work correctly. The time after a cold-start is
>    wrong (e.g. "WARNING: preposterous TOD clock time"). Maybe I need a
>    new battery, but IIRC it worked under BeOS.

It could be oddly parsed. If NetBSD writes something back to the TOD
does BeOS see it as gibberish?

> 7. X11/Xorg doesn't work yet. Cannot map I/O space. But the correct driver
>    (S3) is recognized:
>    [   888.123] (WW) xf86EnableIO -1
>    [   888.126] (II) xf86EnableIO: ffffffff
>    [   888.128] (WW) Can't map IO space!
>    [   888.143] (--) PCI:*(0:0:13:0) 5333:8811:0000:0000 rev 0, Mem @
> 0x00000000/8
>    [   888.170] (==) Using default built-in configuration (12 lines)
>    [   888.214] (==) --- Start of built-in configuration ---
>    [   888.216]    Section "Device"
>    [   888.218]            Identifier      "Builtin Default s3 Device 0"
>    [   888.220]            Driver  "s3"
>    [   888.222]    EndSection

Wouldn't it be mem space rather than io space on a powerpc?

> 8. IDE disks hang the system. The boot loader seems to support IDE disks,
>    but the kernel doesn't. As soon as the atabus0 process is running the
>    kernel hangs in infinite interrupts. The stack backtrace shows these
>    four repeating forever:
>    pic_do_pending_int+0x1ac
>    splx+0x50
>    pic_handle_intr+0x220
>    trapstart+0x690

Sounds like an interrupt either mismapped, or not being cleared?

> 9. Multiprocessor support. I compiled the GENERIC.MP kernel, but the
>    boot loader doesn't want to load it. A renamed GENERIC kernel works,
>    which is strange.
>    Boot: /dev/disk/scsi/000/0_0:netbsdmp
>    illegal request, data = 0 0 0 0 24 0 0 cb 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 ff ff ff ff 0 0
> 0 0
>    PHASE MSGIN: siop_clearfifo...
>    invalid status code 128
>    generic HBA error
>    siop_intr: I shouldn't be there !

Could this be related to kernel size? Could you strip stuff out of
GENERIC.MP until its smaller than GENERIC as a quick test?

> Something which would be very nice for the future: Support for APM (Apple
> Partition Map) partitioned disks. So we could add a minimal Be_FS
> partition with the boot loader, and there is no more need for the boot
> disk. It might also be possible to co-exist with BeOS on one disk.

Both mac68k and macppc have "some" support for APM - sounds like its
part time being abstracted out to something more MI.

Anyway, again, most excellent news that you have a BeBox running NetBSD again :)