Subject: booting with floppy
To: None <port-bebox@netbsd.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <heinz@netbsd.org>
List: port-bebox
Date: 01/18/2001 14:38:54
Hi,

my setup: BeBox 66Mhz/Matrox Millennium/2GB IBM DORS SCSI disk/NE2000 clone/
          80MB RAM

last evening I tried to boot with a floppy disk made of the disk images
available at
  ftp://ftp.NetBSD.ORG/pub/NetBSD/arch/bebox/snapshot/19981119/floppy/

I know, that only the original NumberNine GXE64 card is supported for
a graphics console, but the README file of the snapshot mentioned a
serial console (Btw, the file 'inst_com.fs' which the README talks
about is nowhere to be found), so I wanted to give it a try.

Neither of the two image files (inst_vga.fs and generic_vga.fs) produced
output for me. I have a null modem connection from a Solaris/SPARC box
to the serial ports and on serial4 (19200/8n1) I can see the debug
output of BeOS just fine, but no combination of serial1-serial4, 19200/8n1
and 9600/8n1, generic_vga.fs and inst_vga.fs did anything useful.

Does anybody have any suggestion?

ciao
     Klaus