Subject: Re: 1.6 install on Hades
To: Olivier VANONI <ovanoni@icor.fr>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 12/25/2002 23:21:00
Sorry, it took me so long in answering this mail...

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 11:57:58PM -0200, Olivier VANONI wrote:
> Hi everybody
> I decided to install Netbsd 1.6 instead of 1.4.
> 1.4 install was fine, I could complete it until the end.
> But I have problems with 1.6. I'm doing an install from
> scratch from a gem partition of 250Mb, just some boot files
> on it.
> I created the HADES, MINIROOT and SYSINST floppies and copied
> the HADES floppy file in a folder on C: from which I launch
> the install. By the way, the FLOPPY directory mentionned in
> the documentation does not exist on the FTP site. So I used
> RAWWRITE and GZIP from 1.4 distribution.

It seems that the contents of the floppy directory are in the misc directory
and the contents of the misc directory is missing :-| I will see how I
should straighten this out...

> First when I lauch 'loadbsd -b netbsd' from C:, the first lines
> display some information like the CPU type (060 recognized as
> 040 !) and then entrer a different phase when the screen becomes

This is something that I could not reproduce. I have a Hades with a 060 too
and the kernel seems to identify it as such:
    NetBSD 1.6 (HADES) #0: Wed Dec 25 20:03:24 MET 2002
    root@lwp_hades:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/arch/atari/compile/HADES
    Atari Hades (68060 rev.5 CPU/MMU/FPU)
    total memory = 65536 KB
    avail memory = 58136 KB

If the machine is incorrectly identified as a 040, I should not work properly!

> blank. On 10 attempts, 8 times the screen beagn to blink and
> nothing was readable. I tried to launch the install from 1024*768,
> 640*400 monochrome and without the auto folder (CTRL at startup).
> I had the same problem with the three ways. The only thing to
> do is RESET.
> The two times it worked was one from the minimum config (CTRL ...)
> and one from the 1024*768 resulution.

I haven't been able to reproducte that either, but I currently have an et6000
installed _and_ I am using the default setup (without the auto folder).

> It worked until the install asks for the root media. I type md1a
> and insert the floppy. And then the system gives an error like
> it is unable to read a sector. It does the same thing with MINIROOT
> or SYSINST floppy. My flppy drive is fine as I can read the floppies
> from Gem/Magic and I can write them using RAWWRITE.

I tracked that one down... it's my bad :-| The Hades 1.44MB floppies were
moved to md2. But this was not fully updated in both the documentation and
the kernel config. I built a new kernel that will accept md2 as a boot
device. It is contained in a new hades boot floppy. You can download it
from: ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/incoming/leo/hades-boot.fs.gz

Can you please try to install using the kernel on that floppy image and
use 'md2' as the boot device. Use the sysinst floppy to install.

Leo.