Subject: 1.6 install on Hades
To: NETBSD Support <port-atari@netbsd.org>
From: Olivier VANONI <ovanoni@icor.fr>
List: port-atari
Date: 12/19/2002 23:57:58
Hi everybody
I decided to install Netbsd 1.6 instead of 1.4.
1.4 install was fine, I could complete it until the end.
But I have problems with 1.6. I'm doing an install from
scratch from a gem partition of 250Mb, just some boot files
on it.
I created the HADES, MINIROOT and SYSINST floppies and copied
the HADES floppy file in a folder on C: from which I launch
the install. By the way, the FLOPPY directory mentionned in
the documentation does not exist on the FTP site. So I used
RAWWRITE and GZIP from 1.4 distribution.
First when I lauch 'loadbsd -b netbsd' from C:, the first lines
display some information like the CPU type (060 recognized as
040 !) and then entrer a different phase when the screen becomes
blank. On 10 attempts, 8 times the screen beagn to blink and
nothing was readable. I tried to launch the install from 1024*768,
640*400 monochrome and without the auto folder (CTRL at startup).
I had the same problem with the three ways. The only thing to
do is RESET.
The two times it worked was one from the minimum config (CTRL ...)
and one from the 1024*768 resulution.
It worked until the install asks for the root media. I type md1a
and insert the floppy. And then the system gives an error like
it is unable to read a sector. It does the same thing with MINIROOT
or SYSINST floppy. My flppy drive is fine as I can read the floppies
from Gem/Magic and I can write them using RAWWRITE.
Is there something I miss ? What about the screen blanking when
entering the hardware setup ?

Thanks in advance.

              Olivier VANONI
      Mailto:ovanoni.pasdepub@icor.fr