Subject: weirdness with disk partitioning
To: None <port-atari@netbsd.org>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 01/18/2001 12:44:10
In an attempt to recover my TT after a HD-crash, I build a disk as follows:
   1 - Re-read blok1 from tape and dd(1) it to disk on NetBSD-1.5/i386.
       This blok contained at least the partition info for 'c:'. There is
       of course other partition info, but that should be unused.
   2 - Re-read a raw dump of the 'c:' drive into the disk space where it
       should reside according to item 1 (blok 2 and onward).

Ok, connected the disk to my TT030. This does not boot, but bombs out
(4 bombs).  So, I disconnected the SCSI ribbon cable, booted and connected
the ribbon cable. Startup HDDRIVER.PRG, HDDRIVER.APP from floppy, meddled
a bit (autoconfig & install driver among it) rebooted and.... yes! Booted
the NetBSD-1.5 atari miniroot. Interrupted the installer and added the rest
of the partitions I needed using ahdilabel. Reboot..... crash - 4 bombs
again :-(

I repeated the above (disconnect cable & meddle) and yes, TOS boots again.
Also, HDDriver seems to recognize all of the partitions created with
ahdilabel.

I am unable to get deeper into this problem at the moment, but maybe someone
has a clue?

Leo.