Subject: Re: Floating Point support
To: Mike Sienicki <mike@cpdist.com>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 01/31/2000 11:31:40
Hi Mike,

On Mon, Jan 31, 2000 at 02:22:15AM -0500, Mike Sienicki wrote:
> Dear NetBSD,
>
> I would like to use the MC68882 FPU in my TT instead of the software
> emulator support.  Do I simply comment out the "FPU_EMULATE" line and use
> the FPSP line or is the 68882 not supported in v1.4.1 yet?  I don't think
> that the 68040 floating point acts the same as the 68882 or am I mistaken?

If you have a MC68882 inserted in your TT, NetBSD will use it (and will
thus never use the emulator). So, just comment out all FPU emulation in
your kernel config. It is only kernel bloat in your case.

The people with a 040 or 060 will always need some kind of emulator support
since motorola removed some FP-operations from the CPU that need now to be
emulated in software.

On the Falcon you sometimes need FPU emulation support since the Falcon
was originally sold without FPU. I don't think any TT was ever sold without
an FPU.

Hope this helps,

Leo.